Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Submission opportunity (January 2012)

Who is eligible


Anyone who:

  • has 23andMe or Family Finder autosomal data,
  • is not related to any other Project participants,
  • has 4 grandparents from the same African, European, or Asian ethnic group or country (e.g., 4 Albanian grandparents, 4 grandparents born in Ethiopia, 4 Kazakh grandparents, etc.)
Any ineligible submissions will be blacklisted. Do not send data if you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

What to send


Send your compressed autosomal data (ending .zip or .gz) that you can download from your testing company.
Send to dodecad@gmail.com as an attachment, and include in your e-mail as much information about your ancestry as you can (e.g., birthplace of grandparents, spoken languages, practiced religions, ethnic affiliation, etc.). Samples without adequate ancestral information will be ignored.

Data Privacy Statement


Your raw data or genealogical information will not be shared or distributed in any manner, and it will not be analyzed for any other purpose than assessment of ancestry (i.e., not for any physical or health-related traits). It will be identified by a unique ID, known to you and me, and results will be posted in the blog using that ID. I will continue to analyze your data for ancestry, and new results will be posted using that same ID. Also, I will report aggregate results for populations with at least 5 participants.

What you will receive


I will add you to the K12a spreadsheet of the K12a calculator. You will also be eligible to participate in future data analyses, and newer results will be posted in this blog with your ID.

Clarification (added on 6 Jan, 2012): The results which you will receive will be based on the K12a calculator whose components were inferred in December 2011, and hence included only those who had submitted their data up to that time. As new members of the Project, your data will be used for the development of the next version of the admixture analysis, and this will -in all likelihood- lead to a subtle redrawing of the ancestral components and different ancestral proportions (see technical note).

By participating in the Project, you help better draw both the basic ancestral components underlying genomic variation in Africa/Europe/Asia, and create more robust samples of different populations. This is helpful both to the Project, and to yourself, because it helps you get increasingly better results with newer versions of the analysis. All newer analysis tools are announced on this blog.

End of Submission Opportunity


The end of this submission opportunity will be announced on this blog.

18 comments:

  1. Here's a few Spanish samples for your project.

    http://manuelcorpas.com/five-family-relatives-genome-download/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do African-Americans with all 4 grandparents AA born in the U.S. qualify for this? I only know, thru testing, the mtDNA hapologroup of a group of maternal relatives; with no paternal info/testing to date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. African Americans are ineligible, since they don't have 4 grandparents from the same European, African, or Asian country or ethnic group.

    Also, this is an autosomal analysis, not an mtDNA one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandparents were all of British Isles stock, but a mixture of Irish, English, and Welsh. Do I qualify?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, i am french and i ve just received mi kit.
    I have à near complete tree as far as the late. 1500 from catalunya, Provence and lombardia. I trace back some Lines to the late 1200' . Found some jewish ancestors converted around 1450 and germans emigrating in Provence in thé late 1400. I Will havé my results wihtin 2 months i guess, and i would Like so much to compare my genealogie la research to your results. Will you accept me',?
    Thanks à lot
    JL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I get my Fiances results before you stop accepting people. He is Bosnian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandparents were all of British Isles stock, but a mixture of Irish, English, and Welsh. Do I qualify?

    If all 4 of your grandparents were born in the British Isles, or all 8 of your great-grandparents were born in the British Isles, you can send me your data.

    If any of them were born outside of the British Isles, and you know that they are of British Isles stock based on your genealogy research, you cannot.

    I hope I get my Fiances results before you stop accepting people. He is Bosnian.

    That sample would interest me, so do write to me even if the submission opportunity is over, I'll let you know if I can process it.

    I Will havé my results wihtin 2 months i guess, and i would Like so much to compare my genealogie la research to your results. Will you accept me',?

    Your ancestry seems to be quite complex, since it spans 4 current European countries. If most of your ancestors have been long-established in France, I will consider accepting your sample when you receive your results -- if I'm processing data at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does 1/4 German and 3/4 Austrian of my partner, interest you? I suppose these represent quite a close Germanic group, might be interesting for Austrian analysis since they nearly always have such mixtures due to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and more recent history.

    I will send mine - 3/4 Welsh 1/4 English.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does 1/4 German and 3/4 Austrian of my partner, interest you?

    Yes that would fall in the Mixed_Germanic_D group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One set of my grandparents are Greeks from Asia Minor and the other set, Greeks from Cyprus. Is my 23andme raw data submittable?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm adopted and show up having some middle eastern and african (very small amount)but mainly European but I have no idea about my family tree yet. I'm guess that I'm ineligble?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also adopted 3 grandparents Polish descent, 1 grandparent Colonial American.....???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be receiving my data within the next couple of weeks. All four of my grandparents are from the Flemish region of Belgium and I have detailed information regarding ancestry as far back as my great-great paternal grandparents and maternal great-grandparents. Please let me know if you are interested in my data from 23andme when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I received my data from 23andme. I have four grandparents coming from Ukrainian Boyko Highlander group from the villages within a 5 mile distance in Staryi Sambir district. I researched my paternal line in the archive and it has steadily lived in the village at least since 1750s. Would you be interested in my data?

    ReplyDelete
  15. what about Greek grandparents who are either emmigrants from Turkey, Former Yogoslavia or lived inside Greece?

    ReplyDelete
  16. what about Greek grandparents who either lived inside Greece or where immigrants from Turkey and the former Yugoslavia?

    ReplyDelete