Friday, October 21, 2011

23andMe data file changes

A few recent submissions to the Project have alerted me to the fact that 23andMe has been making changes to its data download. It is unfortunate that such changes are made apparently "silently", as they may negatively impact third-party tools built around the 23andMe data.

Apparently, the orientation of some SNPs has been changed. This should not be a problem for DIYDodecad, as it handles orientation of different companies automatically. A different problem is that apparently some SNPs have been dropped from the data file altogether. This is a problem if you are not using the latest 2.1 version of the DIYDodecad software, so you should upgrade to 2.1. It seems that about 80 of the SNPs expected by the 'dv3' calculator have been removed from the data file download, and these will appear as "absent". I do not expect 80 absent SNPs to have a huge impact on results, as they make up less than 0.1% of all SNPs in dv3.

The change in format has other consequences as well; as many of you know, I have been working on Dodecad v4 for some time now. This would use common markers between 23andMe v2 and v3 platforms and Family Finder Illumina platform. However, I will now have to backtrack on it, to make sure that the marker set used is actually consistent with people's current 23andMe downloads.

If you have a fresh 23andMe downloaded file and DIYDodecad 2.1 and you are unable to run 'dv3' or any other Project calculators, drop me a line.

3 comments:

  1. It's very unfortunate that 23andMe are doing this!

    I have an email from over a year ago where I list SNP results - for 7 family members - on the V2 data, and when I check the results today online, it says "not genotyped"
    The results do appear in 2 family members who have tested more recently on the V3 chipset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my issue is that when I select "download original" the only file I can download is the DIYDodecad 2.1 but not the other files associated with it (i.e. the dv3, allelles, etc). Evidently that's not enough however. I attempted to use the 2.1 file with my already existing files in my Dodecad folder, but I'm still receiving the same error as I did before.

    Am i doing something wrong? This is the error I get and it is with a fresh download of Dodecad V2:


    At line 142 of file DIYDodecad.f90 (Unit 50 "genotype.txt")
    Traceback: not available, compile with -ftrace=frame or -ftrace=full
    Fortran runtime error: End of file
    Warning message:
    running command 'DIYDodecadWin dv3.par' had status 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. my issue is that when I select "download original" the only file I can download is the DIYDodecad 2.1 but not the other files associated with it

    When you "download original" you download the RAR archive which contains all the other files.

    ReplyDelete